June 10, 2023 – Hardwood Ski & Bike
Update June 9 – The air quality risk is low for Saturday. We had some nice rain over last 24 hrs, and the forecast for Saturday looks great!
The event will run as originally planned with no modifications needed.
Girl Power 4 Hour!
The Women`s 4 Hour Mountain Bike Relay is all about the camaraderie, sportsmanship and the enjoyment of riding with friends. The Women`s 4 Hour relay is a personal and team challenge to complete as many laps as possible. Whether riding just for fun, or vying for a podium spot in your category, the Women`s 4 Hour will be a memorable experience. Using Ontario’s premier Mountain Bike destination and trails, the Women`s 4 Hour promises the best in facilities, fun, varied courses, and support for riders.
Process, Rules and Regulations / Site Plan / 2023 Course Map
Start List and Results
New for 2023! Onsite Camping – You can now pre-book onsite camping for RV’s or Tents the night before and after the race. All the more reason to come early and stick around after for more fun and riding. Only a nominal $20 fee to book your spot. Booking link HERE.
What is the Women`s 4 Hour?
The Women`s 4 Hour takes place over a 4 hour time frame on a 6 km course which start and finish at the same location. The object is not to finish first, but to complete the greatest number of laps before the end of the event. There is a Solo category for the hard cores, but most people do it as a 2 Female or 3-4 Female Team. Only one member of the team is on the course at any one time, in other words you take turns riding.
“Just wanted to let you know how awesome I think it is that you guys run this event! It was such a great day! Well-organized and the loops were fantastic! I have been racing for a few years now, so it was really interesting for me to be reminded of some of the fears many women experience as new racers. I spoke with several first time racers before the race and I heard the same thing: “I’m so afraid someone fast is gonna come up on my tail and I’m not gonna be able to get out of the way and I’ll slow them down!” And those same women after the race all had the same feeling: “everyone has been so nice and supportive on the trail! I’ve never felt intimidated!”
I think this is such an empowering event and is definitely serving its purpose of getting more women out on bikes!” Tamara
Why do the Women`s 4 Hour?
There are several reasons why its’ more fun than a conventional race.
Because the race is defined by time, not distance, nobody finishes “last”. All riders finish the race at about the same time. Slower riders can ride at their own pace without feeling like they are “holding up” anyone. Faster riders who want a good workout can put in more laps and ride more distance.
When your team-mate is out riding, you get to relax, hang out with friends at the start/finish area, and watch the progress of the other teams.
So if you have never participated in an organized mtb event, it’s a good chance to give it a try, challenge yourself, meet some other riders, and celebrate our sport!
The Women’s 4 Hour is timed using a modern chip and computer web system, to ensure accurate and instantaneous results available right from your smart phone.
• Awesome fun marked course to challenge yourself and team over 4 hours
• Souvenir Bike Plate that can be personalized with team name
• Draw Prizes from our sponsors
• Free morning coffee and snacks
• Access to all of Hardwood Ski & Bike’s amazing facilities
• Women’s 4 Hour T-Shirt at special Early Discount for pre-orders
Prizes and Awards:
• Awards to Top three teams and solo in each category
The Women’s 4 Hour course will be approx. 6 km, comprised of some of the most fun, flowy and rolling trails. The courses have a good selection of challenges, but will not be overly technical for newer riders.
You will be given a special custom souvenir 2023 Women’s 4 Hour bike plate on arrival at Hardwood when checking in. Enter by June 3rd to get your Team Name on your Bike Plate.
2023 Women’s 4 Hour T-Shirt:
Our friends at Axis Gear have created a special 2023 Women’s 4 Hour T-Shirt.
Pre-order during early registration for pick-up at Hardwood on your challenge day and save $$. (Shirt shown is from 2022, new design will be updated soon)
Pre-order deadline with registration is May 27th.
Schedule of Events:
• Wednesday May 10 – Early Entry fee deadline.
• Saturday May 27 – Deadline to pre-order a T-Shirt.
• Saturday June 3 – Deadline for Team Name on custom number plate.
• Wednesday June 7 – Final Entry deadline at midnight!
• Saturday, June 10
8:00 am – 9:45 am – Package Pick-up and Waiver check.
9:30 am – Team Captains Meeting
10:00 am – START Women`s 4 Hour Relay
2:00 pm – Course Closed, no new riders on course
2:20 pm – Last rider to count
2:30 pm – Awards and Draw Prizes
Women`s 4 Hour Categories
Solo – A personal challenge for one rider to complete as many laps as possible in 4 hours.
• categories: Female 16-34 yrs / Female 35-49 yrs / Female 50+ yrs
• entry fee: $73.00, early entry fee* $68.00
2 Person Relay Team – Two riders alternate laps, tag team style, to complete as many laps as possible in 4 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap.
• categories: Female combined age 79 & under / Female combined age 80 & over
• entry fee: $65.00 per rider, early entry fee*: $60.00 per rider
3-4 Person Relay Team – A team of up to 4 riders alternate laps, relay style, to complete as many laps as possible in 4 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap. Lap order may change at the team’s discretion. Team category is based on the total combined age of 4 riders (or 4 times the average age of 3 riders)
• categories: Female combined age 149 & under / Female combined age 150 – 179 / Female combined age 180 & over
• entry fee: $61.00 per rider, early entry fee*: $56.00 per rider
• Minimum age for Solo riders is 16 yrs, minimum age for team riders is 9 yrs.
• *Early Entry deadline is May 10th.
• FINAL Entry Deadline – Wednesday June 7th.
• Entry fees listed do not include HST or online fees.
Refund Policy – A rider may receive 50% refund if cancelling more than 2 weeks prior to their challenge day, but no refund within two weeks.
Any riders wanting to preview or pre-ride the course must purchase trail ticket at Hardwood and only ride during regular Hardwood hours. Course will be marked as of June 7, for pre-riding.
Hardwood will be closed for the Canada Cup event June 3/4. If you would like personalized guided pre-ride prior to this, please contact Hardwood for availability.
• Adult riders or Parent/Guardian for minors must complete the online waiver via registration. You cannot register on behalf of another adult rider, or minor if not legal parent/guardian.
• Mountain Biking is an active outdoor sport with inherent risks. Always be sure to ride within your ability, and be aware that course conditions may change unexpectantly.
Suggested Accommodation – This is a prime holiday time so we suggest you make your accommodation bookings early!)
1. Horseshoe Resort is the Official Accommodation Partner of the Women’s 4 Hour. Rooms and Condos both available at special pricing. Bike and Pet friendly. Use this link to book with discounted prices https://horseshoeresort.com/#/booking/step-1?arrive=09%2F22%2F2023&promo=pulse&depart=09%2F24%2F2023
2. Limited “Camping/RV” spots are available at Hardwood on night before and after events. See HERE for details and to pre-register for a Camp/RV spot.
3. See Ontario’s Lake Country for full listing of Accommodation options, places to visit, things to do, etc.
Women`s 4 Hour contact:
Pulse Racing Inc. www.pulseracing.ca
c/o Hardwood Ski & Bike, 402 Old Barrie Rd West, Oro-Medonte, Ontario L0L 2E0. ph 705.487.3775
email: [email protected]