Mountain Bike Team Relay
Sept 23, 2023 – Hardwood Ski & Bike
A Great Event for Riding with Friends!
The Epic 8 Hour Mountain Bike Relay is all about the camaraderie, sportsmanship and the gritty, hard-core enjoyment of riding with friends. The Epic 8 Hour relay is a personal or team challenge to complete as many laps as possible. Whether riding just for fun, or vying for a podium spot in your category, the Epic 8 Hour will be a memorable experience. Using Ontario’s premier Mountain Bike destinations and trails, the Epic 8 Hour promises the best in facilities, fun, varied courses, and support for riders.
SOLD OUT! – 2023 Fall Epic 8 Hour is Sold Out for new teams. Contact us if you need to add team members. [email protected]
Course Map / Site Plan and Instructions / Rule and Regulations
New for 2023!
Post Race Party – Don’t feel like you need to rush out after the race is done. Stick around for some great food, beer/wine/coolers, and live music after the event. Trade stories with your friends and other racers. There will be food and beverage specials announced closer to the event.
Onsite Camping – You can now pre-book onsite camping for RV’s or Tents the night before and after the race. All the more reason to come early and stick around after for more fun and riding. Only a nominal $20 fee to book your spot. Booking link HERE.
What is the Epic 8 Hour?
The Epic 8 Hour takes place over an 8 hour time frame on a 10 km course which starts and finishes at the same location. The object is not to finish first, but to complete the greatest number of laps before the end of the event. There is a Solo category for the hard cores, but most people do it as a (2 person, 3-4 person, or 5-6 person) team. Only one member of the team is on the course at any one time. In other words you take turns riding.
Why do an Epic 8 Hour?
There are several reasons why its’ more fun than a conventional race.
Because the race is defined by time, not distance, nobody finishes “last”. All riders finish the race at about the same time. Slower riders can ride at their own pace without feeling like they are “holding up” anyone. Faster riders who want a good workout can put in more laps and ride more distance.
In a conventional race, most of us never see the faster riders after the start line, and never see them in action at all. In an Epic 8 Hour, most of us will get passed by faster riders at some point. These “fast guys and girls” are inspiring to watch, and it’s a good chance to see how skillfully these talented athletes negotiate the course.
When your team-mate is out riding, you get to relax, hang out with friends at the start/finish area, and watch the progress of the other teams.
“Enduro and Team Relay races are credited with the revival of mountain bike racing in recent years, mainly as a result of their participation and festival nature”.
So if you have never participated in an Epic 8 Hour, it’s a good chance to give it a try, challenge yourself, meet some other riders, and celebrate our sport!
The Epic 8 Hour courses are approx. 10 km, comprised of some of the most fun, flowy and rolling trails. The courses have a good selection of challenges, but will not be overly technical for newer riders. The courses for all the events are completely different, and have a very different feel.
The Epic 8 Hour Relay is timed using the Zone 4 GO Chip Timing system, to ensure accurate and instantaneous results available in real time on your cellular device.
Epic Kids Ride:
The Epic Kids Ride is designed to provide the little ones with a special event just for them, and include them in a fun day for the whole family. This is a fun oriented, non-competitive event, where the kids are challenged to ride as many laps as possible within the 15 minute time limit. The Epic Kids Ride is open to all young riders age 10 and under, so there’s no excuse for them not to give it a try.
Registration for Epic Kids is available onsite for $15.00 tax included and includes a number plate and fun prizes for participation.
What does my entry include?
• Bike Plate that can be personalized with team name.
• Fall Epic 8 Hour Souvenir T-shirt at special Early Discount for pre-orders.
• Awards for the top three solo and teams in each category.
• Special Solo 100 km Pin for all Solo riders completing 100 km.
• Trek Bicycle Store and other Draw Prizes.
• Awesome race course on some of Ontario’s best trails.
• Zone 4 Go Chip Timing for instantaneous results.
Schedule of Events:
• Wednesday, Aug 23 – Deadline for Early Entry Discount.
• Wednesday, Sept 6 – Deadline for Pre-Order T-shirt for race day pickup.
• Saturday, Sept 16 – Last chance registration to get Team Name on Customized Number Plate.
• Wednesday, Sept 20 – Entry deadline at midnight!
• Friday Sept 22 – 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm – Early Check in and Package Pick-up.
Note: Team Captain or designate do the package pick-up for the whole team. We encourage you to do this Friday night to avoid the rush Saturday morning.
• Saturday, Sept 23
7:30 am – 9:45 am – Check in and Package Pick-up
9:30 am – Team Captains Meeting
10:00 am – Epic 8 Hour Relay
2:00 pm – Epic Kid’s Ride
5:30 pm – Course Closed, no new riders on course
6:00 pm – Last rider to count
6:15 pm – Awards and Draw Prizes
7:00 – 10:00 pm – Post Race Party
How do I Enter? Register Here!
• Each rider needs to register individually.
• Adult riders or Parent/Guardian for minors must complete the online waiver via registration. You cannot register on behalf of another adult rider, or minor if not legal parent/guardian.
• Ensure the “Team Name” is consistent when riders are entering.
• In case of a last minute emergency, you can still change your team rosters 24 hrs before the event. email: glenn “at” pulseracing.ca
NOTE: No Day-of Entry – FINAL Entry Deadline – Wednesday Sept 20 at midnight.
Corporate Teams – Special Corporate Team Pit Areas, Guided pre-rides, Lessons, and Bike Rentals all available to help you build a team of co-workers. email glenn “at” pulseracing.ca for more info.
Epic 8 Hour Categories
Solo – A personal challenge for one rider to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours.
• categories: Male 39 & under / Male 40-49 / Male 50+ / SingleSpeed / Female 49 & under / Female 50+
• entry fee: $107.00 *early entry $99.00
NOTE: There is a Limit of 75 Solo riders. Minimum age for Solo riders is 16 yrs
2 Person Relay Team – Two riders alternate laps, tag team style, to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap
• categories: Open combined age 69 & under / Open combined age 70-99 / Open combined age 100 & over /Female / Mixed 1M1F
• entry fee/person: $96.00 *early entry $89.00
3-4 Person Relay Team – A team of up to 4 riders alternate laps, relay style, to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap. Lap order may change at the team discretion. Team category is based on the total combined age of 4 riders (or 4 times the average age of 3 riders)
• categories: Open combined age 79 & under / Open combined age 80 – 119 / Open combined age 120 – 159 / Open combined age 160 – 199 / Open combined age 200 & over / All Female / Mixed 2M2F combined age 139 & under / Mixed 2M2F combined age 140 & over
• entry fee/person: $80.00 *early bird entry $74.00
5-6 Person Relay Team – A team of up to 6 riders alternate laps, relay style, to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap. Lap order may change at the team discretion.
• categories: Open (any club, team, or group of friends) / Corporate (any group of riders from a company)
• entry fee/person: $75.00 *early bird entry $69.00
*Early entry until Aug 23 at midnight.
Epic Kids – A fun 15 minute mini version of the adult event. Kids do multiple laps of short fun kids course. Fun prizes for all participants. No pre-registration required. Just enter on event day by 1:00 pm.
• categories: Open ages 10 yrs & under
• entry fee: $10.00 cash on event day, includes tax.
Package Pick Up
The team captain should show up early to pick up the race package for their teams on Friday or early Saturday.
You will pick up your number plates, souvenir and make sure all the team information we have is correct. This is a pretty simple process and it will be your job to pass out the number plates to the rest of your team mates. The event site isn’t huge so finding your team mates shouldn’t be a problem.
Adult riders or Parent/Guardian for minors must complete the online waiver via registration. You cannot register on behalf of another adult rider, or minor if not legal parent/guardian.
Mountain Biking is an active outdoor sport with inherent risks. Always be sure to ride within your ability, and be aware that course conditions may change unexpectedly.
Team Captains Meeting
9:30 am Saturday Morning:
We’ll go over the “chip baton system”, most of the rules and regulations, and individual questions. This is a fun event and if you’ve done an Epic 8 Hour or 24 HR relay before, you know how the process goes. If you haven’t, we’ll give you the simple version at 9:30 am.
Epic 8 Hour Rules and Regulations – Click here for PDF
The parking and team area set up is expertly handled by the Team Hardwood Youth development program. They will be asking for a $5.00 per car donation on arrival. Their help is critical to an efficient and fair parking lot set-up, and the final clean-up at the end of the day.
The Epic 8 Hour course will be lightly marked and open for pre-riding at least 1 week prior to the event. The course is open for pre-riding during regular Hardwood hours of operation. Regular trail fees apply. Group Discounts and 6 Packs available.
Discounted Trail Fees are available for Teams arriving Friday, once the race package has been picked up.
Suggested Accommodation – This is a prime holiday time so we suggest you make your accommodation bookings early!)
1. Horseshoe Resort is the Official Accommodation Partner of the Fall Epic 8 Hour. Rooms and Condos both available at special pricing. Bike and Pet friendly. Use this link to book with discounted prices https://horseshoeresort.com/#/booking/step-1?arrive=09%2F22%2F2023&promo=pulse&depart=09%2F24%2F2023
2. Limited “Camping/RV” spots are available at Hardwood on night before and after events. See HERE for details and to pre-register for a Camp/RV spot.
3. See Ontario’s Lake Country for full listing of Accommodation options, places to visit, things to do, etc.
4. Local onsite BnB https://www.orotrailsaccommodations.com/
Epic 8 Hour contact:
Pulse Racing Inc. www.pulseracing.ca
402 Old Barrie Rd West, Oro-Medonte, Ontario, L0L 2E0
email: glenn “at” pulseracing.ca